TEAL S & L ASSESSMENT

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #10646
      silverhills31
      Participant

Hi EAL Teachers,
      I also had a go at the “What did you have for lunch?” TEAL assessment task where I had to video students interviewing each other about their lunch.
      I agree they were a bit self-conscious at first. I had a list of questions on the whiteboard to help guide the students but perhaps this wasn’t such a good idea as they referred to my questions too much.
      I found I had to listen to the interview quite a few times to find the right assessment criteria to highlight. Thought the rubric was too wordy with too much information. I think it should be a lot simpler than this one. That’s a lot of reading for each student. Hopefully it will get easier with practice.

Jill

• #10677
      vera2019
      Participant

Hi Jill
      We agree. I and my team have looked through the oral language assessment rubric and find it very complex for an assessment that requires easier navigation.
      We have in fact used the rubric for assessing writing and found the same problem. We simplified the rubric’s contents and continue to modify it as we go.
      I think we will be doing the same thing with the oral language one.
      Please note, we are not changing things, just expressing them differently.

Vera

• #10678
      puneetachanana
      Participant

• #10685
      alexbia
      Participant

Hi Jill, we found the rubric to be a bit wordy and time consuming too! But that was on a first viewing and hope to get a bit more fluent with it as time goes on.

Vera and @puneetachanana, I’d love to see a copy of your simplified version if you’d be willing to share it? I think it’s great that you’ve reworded the language to suit your needs!

As our school goes down the TEAL assessment path I imagine we’d have a go at catering a bit more to our school needs.

• #10697
        puneetachanana
        Participant

Sure Alex. We can share our simplified copy with you tomorrow sometime during the PD day.

• #10691
      vera2019
      Participant

Hi Alexbia
      It is still a work in progress. Still more writing than we would like, but small steps. The new curriculum will affect further ‘modification’. Happy to share as soon as I work out how to do it!
      We used the rubric for writing ‘My Weekend’, but had our students write about their holidays, using this as a progressive assessment.
      We use a different colour highlighter to add to the rubric each time the assessment task is completed. This piece is moderated – Term 1 (starting point for the year), Term 2 (semester 1 reports) and Term 4 (semester 2 reports). We decided to leave Term 3 as an optional activity. Kids get too much testing these days.
      It’s a great way to see individual students are progressing. The rubrics are online and accessible to all classroom teachers at the school.

• #10698
        puneetachanana
        Participant

Apologies Vera. I hadn’t seen your detailed reply!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Posted in